If you have a tooth that is cracked, worn down, or just doesn’t look right, then a dental crown might be exactly what you need.
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a cover that is securely placed over your tooth by a dentist. Different types of materials are used to create a dental crown that mimics the shape, color, and size of your other teeth. Some materials that are used include ceramics, composite resin, porcelain, and metal alloys.
Why do I need a dental crown?
When your tooth is weak or doesn’t match the rest of your teeth a dental crown can be placed to strengthen it and fix the appearance of your smile.
What does a dental crown actually do?
- Cover - If there is not enough of the natural tooth left after a root canal treatment or once a large cavity has been removed, then a dental crown can be used to cover and support the tooth.
- Refurbish - Discolored or misshapen teeth can be covered by a dental crown to make your smile look and function better.
- Protect - A weaker tooth that may be compromised and susceptible to breakage or cavities may be covered by a dental crown to protect it from being damaged or infected.
- Restore - Once a tooth has been cracked or worn down a dental crown can be placed to restore the look of your smile.
- Support - Instead of getting implants or partial dentures to replace a series of missing teeth, a dental crown can be secured over a strong tooth to support a dental bridge.
- Replace - After the synthetic root portion of a dental implant has been placed, a dental crown can then be fastened to replace a tooth.
How do I take care of a dental crown?
To keep your new dental crown looking and working great you should treat it just like your other teeth, but with a little extra care.
- Avoid Hard Foods - Do your best to avoid chewing on hard foods like ice. And don’t use your teeth to chomp on other nonfood items like pens and pencils.
- Regular Checkups - Regular checkups and cleanings are crucial to help ensure that your dental crown is functioning properly.
- Oral Hygeine - Proper personal oral hygiene is a must to get rid of plaque and bacteria to keep your crown looking good and working well. Using products that have the ADA Seal of Acceptance is your best option since they meet the ADA’s standards for effectiveness and safety.
If you have any questions at all about dental crowns give us a call at (608) 241-7999. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff in Madison is ready to help with any questions or appointment requests you may have.